Welcome To Karnataka State Open University (KSOU)
Karnataka State Open University plays a significant role in promoting the desired growth of higher education through Open-distance learning system (ODL). Our country will be a super power only when it achieves the targeted growth of higher education, which is possible by the intervention of open and distance learning. The University having a strong genesis of the Institute of Correspondence Course and Continuing Education (ICC&CE), a pioneer in the Asian continent, was established in 1996 under the state enactment – KSOU Act 1992. As lucidly inscribed in its motto “Higher Education to Everyone Everywhere,” KSOU is evolving the strategies to reach the door-steps of the students not only in the state of Karnataka but also in the country and abroad. For this purpose, KSOU has established regional centres, even in abroad.
During 2009-2010 the student enrollment in the University has crossed 1.00 lakh. During 2010-2011 the University is expected to enroll over 2.00 lakh students which are possible through its state-of-art infrastructure, committed staff, and managerial skills. KSOU's community of learners includes Academicians, Administrators, Executives, Officers of Central and State Governments, Politicians, Legal Experts, Artists, Farmers, Writers, Media Persons, Technicians, and others whose age group ranges from 18 to 80 years.
The University encourages the students of Schedule Castes and Schedule Tribes by way of Fee Reimbursement under SC/ST government scholarships. It also encourages the students of economically weaker sections under “Muktha Sanjivini”. Prasaaraanga is playing a significant role in promoting the field of literature through the publications of great works of renowned persons.
The University System is a respected higher-learning organization known for its distinctive strengths in providing superior and relevant distance learning programs to its learners. In pursuing this vision, the University System:
• Creates interactive, effective learning environments for all constituents
• Serves its constituents’ diverse personal and professional development needs.
• Expands access to affordable programs to underserved learners
To provide quality higher education with emphasis on educating the public by offering respected, relevant, accessible and affordable, student-focused programs, which prepare them for service and leadership in a diverse, community?
- The University System is guided in fulfilling its mission by these shared principles and core
- Learning: The University System fosters an environment that promotes a life of learning for its constituents and uses feedback from its participants and supporters to improve the quality of its teaching, learning, and support.
- Quality: The University System holds a strong commitment to high standards in all aspects of its educational activities, learning outcomes, and support services. It seeks to continuously strengthen the overall effectiveness of its operations.
- Integrity: The University System conducts its operations and makes its public representations in an ethical manner. It assesses its operations in an open and collaborative manner and practices fairness, honesty, and objectivity in dealing with its constituencies.
- Diversity: The University System embraces and promotes diversity in its policies and practices to prepare its learners to live and work successfully in an increasingly diverse society. It strives to create diverse learning environments by welcoming teachers, learners, and staff that bring diverse ideas, values, backgrounds, and beliefs to the learning and work environment.
- Freedom of Inquiry and Expression: The University System supports the rights of its constituents to freely inquire and express their opinions. It engages and encourages an open exchange of ideas and seeks input from all who wish to participate in its learning programs.
- Accountability: The University System is accountable to its constituencies and the public for fulfilling its mission in an appropriate manner by openly assessing its operations and by inviting external evaluations by public agencies.
- Access to Underserved: The University System seeks to broaden access to its higher education programs by underserved communities who wish to engage the organization in their learning goals.
- Adaptive and Responsive: The University System anticipates and adapts to its changing environment and responds to the needs of the organization and its constituencies in manners both appropriate and timely.
- Innovation: The University System seeks imaginative and effective solutions to its challenges and innovative ways to fulfill its mission.
- Collaboration: The University System seeks and nurtures partnerships with its constituents and the communities it serves in creating effective learning environments for its learners.
The Karnataka State Open University came into being to achieve the following objectives:
• Democratizing Higher Education by taking it to the doorsteps of the learners
• Providing access to high quality education to all those who seek it, irrespective of age, region or formal qualifications.
• Offering need – based academic Programmes by giving professional and vocational orientation to the programme.
• Promoting and developing distance education in India
• Relaxed entry regulations
• Providing opportunities to study according to one’s own pace and convenience
• Flexibility in choosing the combination of courses from a wide range of disciplines
• Providing opportunity to study from one’s own chosen place and pace
The Karnataka State Open University has been recognized by the following well-known organization:
• The Distance Education Council (DEC) New Delhi,
• Regular member of the Association of Indian Universities (AIU), Delhi,
• Permanent member of Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU) London UK,
• Asian Association of Open Universities (AAOU), Beijing, China,
• And also has association with Commonwealth of Learning (COL).
National – International Recognition
• Karnataka State Open University (KSOU) was established on 1st June 1996 with the assent of His Excellency Honorable Governor of Karnataka as a full fledged University in the academic year 1996 vide Government notification no ED 1 UOV 95 dated 12th February 1996 (KSOU Act – 1992). The act was promulgated with the object to incorporate an Open University at the State level for the introduction and promotion of Open University and Distance Education systems in the education pattern of the State and for the Co-ordination and determination of standard of such systems.
• With the virtue of KSOU Act of 1992, Karnataka State Open University is empowered to establish, maintain or recognize Colleges, Regional Centers and Study Centers at such places in Karnataka and may also open outside Karnataka at such places as it deems fit.
• Distance Education Council (DEC), New Delhi, has accorded recognition to Karnataka State Open University, Mysore for offering Programmes / Courses approved by the Statutory bodies of the University. Karnataka State Open University is a recognized University of Distance Education Council under the aegis of Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) (Revised notification F. No. DEC/OU/Recog./2008).
• Karnataka State Open University is a regular member of the Association of Indian Universities (AIU), New Delhi since 1999 (No. EV/11(80)/99/203935-4172).
• Karnataka State Open University is a permanent member of Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU), London, United Kingdom since 1999. Its member code is: ZKASOPENUINI.
• Karnataka State Open University is a permanent member of Asian Association of Open Universities (AAOU), Beijing, China since 1999.
• Karnataka State Open University has association with Commonwealth of Learning (COL), Vancouver, Canada since 2003. COL is an intergovernmental organization created by Commonwealth Heads of Government to encourage the development and sharing of open learning / distance education knowledge, resources and technologies.
• Recognition Policy of DEC (Distance Education Council)
We are committed to provide highest standard professional knowledge based education which exceeds the expectations of our students. Our policy enforces to achieve the objectives of the university by teamwork with a process participation and continuous improvement in the educational programs and administrations.